images/print.png
local history
The Abbey of St. Mary, also known as Thornton Abbey, sits just east of the village. The Abbey was founded in 1139 by Wlliams le Gros, Earl of Yorkshire and reached status of Abbey in 1148. It was seized by the crown in the Dissolution of 1541. It is now an English Heritage site. Thornton Abbey lincolnshire
Our village Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Lawrence and seats around 300 people. The church is built of stone in the 13th century in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing 5 bells. Inside there are lively stiff-leaf capitals and dog tooth decorations on the south door. The Early Norman black marble Tourrai font is square in plan, the bowl is curiously carved, resting on a large central shaft, with a smaller one at each angle, the whole surface is enriched with sculpture in low relief and is one of few in England. The church was restored in 1883/84 and additional work was carried out in 2009/10. A clock was added to the tower in 1901. The Anglican Parish register dates from the year 1568. st lawrence church thornton
The name "Thornton" is from the Old English "thorn+tun" meaning "the farmstead or village where thorn trees grow". The origin of the "Curtis" part of the village name is unknown. In the "1086 Domesday Book" the name is rendered as "Torentune". domesday book
A Public Elementary School was built in 1873 to hold around 100 children. A new wing was added in 1904. Both buildings are now residential properties. thornton curtis map