There are many other attractions:
- Laburnham Plant Nurseries, Burnham, Near Barton-on-Humber. Phone 01469 530212 20-21
- Visual Arts Centre, Scunthorpe. Phone: 01724 297070
- The Plowright Theatre, Scunthorpe. Phone: 01724 277733
- The Ropewalk, Barton-on-Humber. Phone: 01652 660380
- Kirton Pottery, Kirton in Lindsey. Phone: 01652 648867
- Live, Love & Create, Brigg. Phone: 01652 600992
- Baysgarth House Museum, Barton-on-Humber. Phone:01652 637568
- Epworth Old Rectory, Barton-on-Humber. Phone: 01427 872268
- The Old Smithy, Heritage Center, Owston Ferry. Phone: 01427 728361
- Scawby Hall, Scawby. Phone: 01652 654272
- Thornton Abbey Gatehouse, Thornton Curtis. Phone: 01469 54144
- St Andrew's Church, Epworth. Phone: 01427 872080
- Julian's Bower, Phone: 01652 657053
- St Peter's Church, Barton-on-Humber. Phone: 01652 632516
- Elsham Hall Gardens & Country Park, Elsham. Phone: 01652 688698
- Water's Edge, Barton-on-Humber. Phone: 01652 631500
- Far Ings National Nature Reserve, Barton-on-Humber. Phone: 01652 634507
- The Deep, Hull. Phone 01482 381000
The Abbey of St. Mary, also known as Thornton Abbey, sits just east of the village.
The Abbey was founded in 1139 by Wlliams le Gros, Earl of Yorkshire and reached status of Abbey in 1148.
It was seized by the crown in the Dissolution of 1541. It is now an English Heritage site.
Our village Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Lawrence and seats around 300 people. The church is built of stone in the 13th century in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing 5 bells. Inside there are lively stiff-leaf capitals and dog tooth decorations on the south door.
The Early Norman black marble Tourrai font is square in plan, the bowl is curiously carved, resting on a large central shaft, with a smaller one at each angle, the whole surface is enriched with sculpture in low relief and is one of few in England.
The church was restored in 1883/84 and additional work was carried out in 2009/10.
A clock was added to the tower in 1901. The Anglican Parish register dates from the year 1568.
The name "Thornton" is from the Old English "thorn+tun" meaning "the farmstead or village where thorn trees grow".
The origin of the "Curtis" part of the village name is unknown. In the "1086 Domesday Book" the name is rendered as "Torentune".
A Public Elementary School was built in 1873 to hold around 100 children.
A new wing was added in 1904. Both buildings are now residential properties.
"Homemade & Local Produce"
We are pleased to inform our customers of the dishes which are homemade on the premises using as many ingredients/local produce where possible.
These dishes have been marked with the following logo in the menus.
Our current local suppliers:
Butcher - Alan Betts from Scunthorpe
Fruit & Veg - S. Clift Fruit & Veg from Grimbsy
Fish - Moorcroft's from Keelby
Dry Goods - Holdsworth from Grimsby
Drink - HB Clark from Hull
Pipers Crisps - Brigg
Lincolnshire Honey - Thornton Curtis Apiaries